Dance In Higher Education 2015
YAGP will once again be incorporating its newest dance education initiative, Dance in Higher Education, into the Regional Semi-Finals in its 16th season.
As part of the program, representatives of the country's leading colleges’ and universities' dance programs meet and audition YAGP participants,
accepting some into their programs and offering scholarships on the spot. ALL YAGP participants and alumni are welcome to attend one or more of these audition classes.
There is no registration fee. This program is led by Professor Peter H. LeBreton Merz of Point Park University’s Dance Department, and YAGP Dance in Higher Education Administrator, Erin Mellott.
Speaking from the colleges and universities’ perspective, Professor Peter Merz said, “I think this opportunity for us as university level professors to have contact with such a wealth of talented dancers will be good, not simply for our institutions, but for our art form in general.”
One mother wrote to YAGP, “At a time when dance companies and other opportunities to dance professionally are shrinking, combining one’s dance training with academic education seems to be an excellent idea. My daughter is just now at a point in her life where she is considering pursuing ballet in college, and your new program, ‘Dance in Higher Education,’ could not have come at a better time.”
The registration deadline for attending any of these events is 2 weeks before the audition. Please complete the registration form below and submit it with the accompanying resume and photos.
Each event consists of:
1. An audition class (ballet, pointe, men’s technique, and modern combination)
2. An information session presented to the dancers, their parents, and teachers by the college representatives
3. Individual conversations with college representatives
- Philadelphia, PA – Sunday, January 18, 2015 at The Rock School for Dance Education from 3:00-5:30 PM
- Los Angeles, CA – Saturday, February 7, 2015 at the Huntington Beach High School from 3:00-5:30 PM
- Austin, TX – Sunday, March 1, 2015 the Ballet Austin from 3:00-5:30 PM
- New York Finals – Sunday, April 12, 2015 at the Juilliard School from 12:00-2:30pm
The following schools participated in 2014:
- Adelphi University
- Goucher College
- Point Park University
- Slippery Rock University
- Temple University
- The Boston Conservatory
- University of Cincinnati
- Cornish College of the Arts
- Alonzo King LINES Ballet/Dominican University
- Mercyhurst University
For more information, please contact Erin Mellott at email@example.com