Dance in Higher Education
2013 Dance in Higher Education - April 14, 2013 at the Juilliard School from 12pm-3pm
(PLEASE, BRING AND WEAR YOUR YAGP REGISTRATION NUMBERS TO THE AUDITION)
- Check in and registration 11:30-12:00
- Colleges Intro and presentation 12:00-12:30
- Audition class (ballet, pointe, jazz/contemporary) 12:40-2:30
- Interviews 2:30-3:00
Click here to download a sample application form
In an effort to further expand the educational opportunities YAGP provides to its participants, YAGP introduced its newest dance education initiative, “Dance in Higher Education,” at its 10th Anniversary New York City Finals. As part of the program, representatives of the country's leading colleges and universities' dance programs met and auditioned YAGP participants, accepting some into their programs on the spot. The program was led by its administrator, Professor Regina Zarhina of University of Utah’s Ballet Department, and proved to be an immediate success with participants, parents, and colleges.
The event consists of:
1. An information session presented to the dancers, their parents and teachers, by the college representatives.
2. An audition class (ballet, pointe, jazz and/modern combination). Students must bring and wear their YAGP competition numbers.
3. Interviews with college reps.
One mother wrote to YAGP, “At a time when dance companies and other opportunities to dance professionally are shrinking, combining one’s dance training with academic education seems to be an excellent idea. My daughter is just now at a point in her life where she is considering pursuing ballet in college, and your new program, ‘Dance in Higher Education,’ could not have come at a better time.”
Speaking from the colleges and universities’ perspective, Professor Peter Merz of the Point Park University, said, “I think this opportunity for us as university level professors to have contact with such a wealth of talented dancers will be good, not simply for our institutions, but for our art form in general.”
The program will include the following participating institutions:
- The Juilliard School Dance Division
- Marymount Manhattan College Dance Department
- Mercyhurst College Dance Department
- Indiana University Ballet Department
- Point Park University Department of Dance
- Shenandoah University Dance Department
- University of Oklahoma School of Dance
- University of South Carolina Department of Theatre and Dance
- University of Utah Department of Ballet
“Dance in Higher Education” is free and available to all registered YAGP participants who are juniors or seniors in high school. For more information, please contact Program Director Regina Zarhina at email@example.com.